Papa fell into a coma at 5:30 am, September 22, 2009, and died three hours later, still unconscious, surrounded by his family. Rest in peace, Papa. We love you. It is possible that his rapid deterioration and the likely seizure that sent him into a coma were due in part to the antibiotic Cipro. Nonetheless, I am not bitter and do not blame the doctors. They were all very nice, caring and tremendously knowledgeable people who really did their best with the tools they had. Unfortunately, a lot of those tools are considerably poisonous and are especially hard on the elderly. What is tragic is that our medical system is dominated by the pharmaceutical industry and leaves little room for gentler alternative treatments. WARNING: Cipro can be very dangerous for anyone with a history of epilepsy or CNS trauma. Please read the press release from the Epilepsy Foundation if this applies to you or one of your loved ones. My father lived a full and happy life and died at nearly 88 in his sleep after two weeks of being constantly cared for by his family and for that I thank the Lord, regardless of what the specific cause of his death may or may not have been.